Sign in to follow this  
Snider

How-to: Mining with Nvidia graphics cards - XMR Stak

Thanks to @NeyGuy (discord) for making this helpful guide for the mining community, he has a nice collection of videos on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrIMbomEyfV-EyKfVokfNiw/featured

definitely worth a watch, he's got such a cool vega mining shed!

• Like 1

Snider - HashVault Support

Helpful Links: Official Android Monitoring App | Discord Server | Configure XMRig | Configure Proxy

This is a useful startup video, but I just wanted to add some tips for Nvidia users. I have mined various coins for over 2 years now. I started with AMD cards and now I use Nvidia GTX1070s mostly.

Lately I mine Loki which is cryptonight-heavy algorithm and I am able to get around 750 h/s from each of my 1070s.

One thing that the guy in the video above did incorrectly (at least as far as I am aware) is that when you run xmr-stak, especially if you are using the CPU alongside the GPU and you want to use those large memory pages - you should right click the miner executable and select "run as administrator". This has usually solved problems for me.

As far as I am aware, the most important thing to improve your hash-rate for cryptonight and all it's variations -  is to overclock your GPUs memory. Core overclocking does help a little, but memory overclocking is where the biggest gains are made.

If you are confident using the Nvidia command line (Nvidia-smi) , or can find the correct version of "Nvidia profile inspector", it can help to force the GPUs to use what is called P0 power state. All of the 10xx series Nvidia cards (meaning 1050, 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080 & 1080ti) will default to P2 power state which limits your ability to use their full potential. This doesn't allow for huge gains but in at least one case I was able to improve a 1070 from around 700 h/s up to around 760 h/s. Be very careful though because it's easy when the cards are in P0 to overclock too far. The way I did it was to note the actual memory clock speed when the cards were using P2 state (for example my best card which has Samsung memory is at an overclocked memory core of 4580mhz). When I first unlocked the P0 state I didn't realize that it meant that much higher memory overclocks were available, so I just made the same memory overclock as before of +700.  This put the memory clock at some ridiculously high number and I was getting many rejected shares at the pool. What I am saying is - make sure you are reading the absolute value of the memory if you are using P0 power state, don't just rely on the slider in your overclocking software which is +whatever. Another example of this is that one of my 1070s - in P2 power state, will safely overclock to about +750, but when in P0 power state it only needs +520. This is the card that was hashing at 700-720 h/s which is now hashing at 760-780 h/s. Unfortunately using P0 power state does bump up the watts used a little, but not by much.

I may be able to get even more hash rate, but as the buy in the video pointed out - it's much more important to have a STABLE overclock than to have the highest one you possibly can. You might manage to get your miner running with a very high overclock, and work for the first 5-10 minutes while you are watching, but then it can crash the miner or cause rejected shares at the pool after 30 minutes or 2 hours, and unless you check your rigs really often, you can lose many hours of mining.

• Thanks 1