How do pools give work?

Question

I'm trying to understand the low and high level of pools. Solo mine = I get a job from block chain. I try to work on it. 

Pool = low diff job that may or may not be good enough for pow. 

It sounds similar just that more miners work on the same job header with different difficulties to get the block. 

Is there anything else a pool does to distribute work to miners to get miners to work on nonce more efficiently? 

1 answer to this question

The only real difference between solo and pool mining is the number of people involved and the rate of return.

Whether you solo or pool mine, you will continuously fail to solve the job at the rate of your hash rate. With pool mining, the nonce range is split up into smaller units of work so that you complete all possible variations in about 30 seconds.

The pool knows everyone's hashing speed so distributes appropriate job lot sizes and validates the submissions to make sure the submitted jobs are correct. 

With solo there is no coordination with other miners, while you will get the full reward for finding a block, you will find far fewer blocks. 

Given enough time, you should get around the same rewards with solo or pool mining.

You mentioned "low diff job" since that is an error we give out. Anyone coming from Google, this means you have the wrong algorithm set in the miner config.

Snider - HashVault Support

Helpful Links: Official Android Monitoring App | Discord Server | Configure XMRig | Configure Proxy